Our School Council aims to give children the opportunity to have a voice. Two representatives from each class will attend meetings and put forward their opinions on issues raised by both themselves and the staff. They will then take this information back to the class and share with their classmates.
Currently, due to Covid, there is not an active school council, to avoid cross contamination of bubbles.
What did our School Councillors do in the Spring term 2020?
1) We talked about how to make our school a better place. Two of the ideas were to make sure all children knew the school rules, and that we made playtimes happier for all children.
2) We organised and judged a 'School Rules' poster competition. We were really impressed with the quality of the entries, but finally picked our winners which are on display in the school foyer.
3) We introduced 'Playground Pals'. Six Year 6 children were chosen to work in pairs as Playground Pals. Their job was to help those children who didn't have anyone to play with a break and lunchtimes. They are doing a brilliant job.
4) We amended the Pupil Questionnaire, which all children completed this term.
5) We discussed different ways we could make our school even more enjoyable. Some of the ideas included: having a 'sweet treat' breaktime; more toys at breaktime; having an art day; and litter picking at the park to help the community.
6) Following on from the litter picking idea, we drafted a letter to send to the council asking for materials to help us with our task. Unfortunately, this is all on hold at the moment, due to the current situation. However, watch this space...